Thursday, November 14, 2013

If the Shoe Fits

Yesterday was a resting day, so I decided to head on down to the local running store for my first ever shoe fitting. It was a very interesting and informational experience!

First, they had me stand on a mat in front of a computer screen. This showed my arch and how my weight is distributed when I'm standing. Then they had me walk across the mat to see if my arches collapse when I walk, and again how my weight is distributed while walking. Lastly, they had me run on a treadmill while they recorded it so we could play it back in slow motion to study my gait and numerous other things. I have never thought so much about every tiny detail of what happens to my feet/ankles/legs when I run.

And that's when the really fun part started--I got to try on tons of shoes! I used to have a shoe fetish when I was in my 20's, but I had gotten over that....until now. I could feel that old twinge of excitement when they started bringing out box after box after box of shoes. But, I have a little more self control now and I knew I would have to choose one. I walked and ran on the treadmill with each pair, and it was interesting to notice all the small differences in each brand of shoes. I had it narrowed down to 3 pairs, which I tried on at least three times each. I finally made a decision, and I can't wait to go pick them up this weekend. The added bonus was that I ended up choosing the ones that were the cheapest! (I didn't know the prices while I was trying them on--they don't want you to choose a shoe based on cost, but how it FEELS. Once I made my decision, they showed me the prices.)

I was really impressed by the knowledge and advice that the sales person provided during my shoe fitting. There really is more to running than just moving your legs. It is important to understand how your body moves and to have the right shoes/other gear so you can prevent injury and perform your best. I just wish I had done this sooner!

Total Steps for the Day: 10,764 (yes, even on rest days I still make sure I get my steps in!)

~Fluffy Girl~

 

2 comments:

  1. what brand /type pedometer do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use one that is made by Sportline, but I'm not sure the exact model. It tracks steps, miles, and calories burned.

      By the way, thanks for being my first-ever comment on my blog!!

      Delete

I'm interested to hear what you think!