Sunday, January 5, 2014

Facing Reality

After being sick for the past ten days, I'm finally almost back to feeling normal. Now that the cold-medicine-induced haze has cleared, I'm ready to look forward and start thinking what I want to accomplish this year.

The thing that has been weighing on my mind the most lately has been my marathon training. I had signed up to do a full marathon (26.2 miles) in March, but I have come to the disappointing conclusion that I need to face the reality that I'm not going to be physically ready for that yet. I have had some setbacks in my training--thyroid disease related health issues, injury, illness--and I just don't feel like my body is strong enough to be able to finish that race in two months. Yesterday I did finish my 12 miles--but it was painful, I was dizzy the last few miles, and I threw up twice. It really upsets me to have to put this goal off for now, but I am also trying to be realistic. Therefore, I have downgraded my registration from the full marathon to the half marathon. Sometimes things don't work out the way we want or expect them to, so we have to alter our goals. This just happens to be one of those moments. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

So, now that I have made that difficult decision it is time to move on and set some new goals for the half marathon. Over the next two months I plan to really push myself to improve my pace so I can set a new PR (personal record). I am aiming for a sub 2:10, which means I have to get down to about a 9:50 pace. I am currently running closer to a 10:40 with short walking breaks on my long runs. Let's do this!  

Don't get me wrong--I still plan to defeat the almighty full marathon sometime this year, it just won't be in March. After I complete the half marathon, I will continue training instead of taking a break and starting from scratch later in the year. I am on the prowl for a new marathon to sign up for in the fall/winter season. Any suggestions??

I hope everyone is happy, healthy, and enjoying the new year so far!

~Fluffy Girl~

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for your illness but great decision. Do it when you're 100% ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma! I knew it was the right decision, but still a tough one to make. Thanks for the support!

      Delete

I'm interested to hear what you think!