Thursday, March 20, 2014

Shamrock Race Recap 2014

Well, it's all over. Four months of preparation, and it's done in the blink of an eye!

I didn't achieve a personal record, but the important thing is that I finished. Even though I am now 35 pounds heavier (thank you, thyroid disease) and only did about half the training as I did the first time I ran this race (thank you, injuries), I finished within five minutes of my previous time.

On Saturday I headed down to the Virginia Beach Convention Center to pick up my race packet. I got to meet Bart Yasso, who is the Chief Running Officer of Runner's World magazine. His stories were inspiring and hilarious. I'm really glad I was able to catch his speech and meet him. He is an amazing man who knows everything there is to know about running!

Bart Yasso speaking at the expo
Bart Yasso and I
Then came race day. Up at 4:30 a.m. to drive down to Virginia Beach and find parking. I actually lucked out this year and ended up getting a spot real quick, and it was close to the finish line. Bonus! Last time I felt like I had to walk another mile to get back to the car, which of course was the last thing I wanted to do after running 13.1 miles.

My favorite part of any race is the couple minutes before the gun goes off. The excitement is high, my heart is pounding, everyone is pumped up, and it is such a major rush to be part of something so huge. The moment I have been training and working so hard for, worrying about, and stressing over for the past four months is finally about to happen. There's a million things running through my mind in those last few seconds. And when the gun goes off, there is no turning back.

 Just minutes before the start. Let's do this!
My Corral: #6
There is always so much stuff going on during the race that at times I forget that I am even running. The spectators, bands, DJ's, water stops, talking to other runners, and of course checking out (and laughing at) people's costumes makes the time absolutely fly by. There was one couple I ran next to for a while that was singing songs to eachother but mixing in their own words. It was hilarious! That kept me entertained for a good mile or two. It really made me wish I had a running buddy to do silly things with to make the time go by.

Beautiful Ocean Sunrise

The last half mile of this race is soooo awesome. The finish line is right on the boardwalk overlooking the ocean. A beautiful way to end an amazing race!

Almost done, I look exhausted! LOL

I made it! Love the Finisher's Beach Towel, I will use it this summer!


Of course, I promoted my blog while running this race :)

Bling, Bling!


My stats:

Official Chip Time: 2:35:33
Overall Results: 6565 out of 8936 finishers
Age Group (30-34) Results: 678 out of 984
Gender Results: 3685 out of 5510

~Fluffy Girl~ 


2 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB GIRL! So proud of you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations

    Doing a half Marathon is tremendous test of your will and determination.
    Very proud of you

    Your Dad

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested to hear what you think!